I think it's pretty funny that Jon sometimes rates new recipes I make by how much you would potentially pay for them at a restaurant. This recipe was given a $12.50.
I have to say I am really enjoying trying to cook the things I usually buy frozen at the grocery store or order at restaurants. Everything tastes SO much better home-made fresh and I really like identifying the spice to the flavor. Cooking is getting funner and funner :-)
Spicy Chicken Stir-Fry
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
1½ teaspoon Asian chili-garlic paste (such as Sriracha)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon sesame seed oil
2 large sweet red peppers, seeded and chopped (I had one red and one green, but the next time I make it I will use 2 red.)
1 cup baby carrots, cut diagonally into thirds
4 oz. snow peas, trimmed and halved diagonally
6 cups leaf spinach, stem removed
8 ounces soba noodles, prepared according to package directions
In a small bowl mix soy sauce, brown sugar, chili-garlic paste, ginger and cornstarch. Set aside. (I added a couple dashes of crushed red pepper as well!)
Cut chicken breast into cubes. (Optional, but suggested - season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a dash of ground ginger.)
Heat oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add red peppers, carrots, snow peas and 3 tablespoons water to skillet and cover; cook 6 minutes or until tender. Add spinach and cover; cook 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce mixture; cook 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in chicken; serve with noodles.
Makes 4 servings.
I adapted this recipe from a tofu-veggie version in Family Circle magazine's February 2010 issue (on page 178 to be exact). If you would like to try the Veggie version do this:
Swap chicken for 1 block (14 oz) firm tofu.
Instead of 1 tablespoon cornstarch, measure out a ½ cup. (Still use 1 tablespoon when making soy sauce mixture)
Drain and cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
Pat tofu dry. Place remaining 7 tablespoons cornstarch in a pie plate; coat tofu on all sides.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu to skillet in 2 batches; cook each 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
Add veggies and continue cooking as directed above.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Spicy Chicken Stir-Fry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment