Sunday, August 9, 2009

My First Post w/o Pictures

This is my first post without pictures because there were no pictures to be had of this moment today. There was no one there to photograph or record the shear terror that flashed across my face and rang in my voice as I yelled "SAWYER" and ran as fast as my 32 weeks pregnant body would allow me to out the front door because not only is Sawyer able to open the front door, but now the screen door as well.

Sawyer had been running around the kitchen with Texas's leash while I was washing dishes and talking with my Aunt Karin. I noticed he had been quiet for a minute, but really didn't think anything of it... He had probably just gone upstairs and I'd finish the dishes and go get him. Then, I didn't hear his little foot steps running around upstairs either...

I walked out of the kitchen and discovered horror of horrors that Texas's leash was half in the house and half outside on the front step. I swear my heart stopped and I froze for just a moment while all kinds of awful thoughts ran threw my head. Then I sprinted, probably faster than I have moved in years, out the front door. I yelled "SAWYER" at the top of lungs. I can still hear myself calling his name in my head.

I knew just where he would go. We have a pond just outside our front door and down a little hill. He likes to watch the ducks there and we walk on the path around it to take him to the park. Luckily, I saw him right away, by a big tree, next to the pond. He saw me running toward him and looked at me, laughing, as if to say "Look at me Mommy! I'm outside!".

I can not even describe how terrifying this experience was. I have never been so scared in my life.

Thank you Lord for Texas's leash being half in/half out of the house. If it hadn't been, I would have headed upstairs to search for Sawyer. Possibly wasting precious minutes while he was strolling around outside and heading to the pond. Thank you Lord for giving Mother's our instincts to somehow know when something just isn't right. Thank you Lord for keeping my little baby safe on his adventure today. And, please Lord, although I know I will be struck by pure terror many more times in motherhood, please, please, please let the outcome be the same. Safe and Sound!

2 comments:

Lexie said...

OH MY GOD. my eyes were watering up at the end! thank god he is alright! I know just how you feel, it's exactly how i felt when Tavish's teeny tiny baby body fell down the flight of stairs.... pure terror in it's rawest form.

thank god he's safe and sound! good job mommy :)

Brandy said...

Haydn did this to me once, except I already had Fran and Houston was out of town. I had gotten home and it was dark I got Haydn in the house first and then went out to get Franny and then when I got back in the house he was gone. I ran around the house and then headed outside. He was "checking the mail" (right by the road) for me! It really is terrifying.